What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct healthcare system that embraces the healing power of nature and modern science to promote and maintain a patient’s overall health. This profession is founded by Dr. Benedict Lust back in 1901. The philosophy and practice of naturopathic medicine are guided by the Six Principles of Naturopathic Medicine:
- Do No Harm. → Use the least invasive and non-toxic treatment for each patient
- The Healing Power of Nature. → Acknowledge the benefits of natural remedies to support the body’s self-healing capacity
- Identify and Treat the Cause. → Address the underlying issues of the illness rather than just relieving symptoms
- The Physician as Teachers. → Educate patients on health management and wellness optimization
- Treat the Whole Person. → Treat the whole person by addressing physical, mental, and spiritual aspects of health
- Prevention. → Emphasize strongly disease prevention
How does it work?
At the start of your naturopathic care, your doctor will conduct a thorough assessment to understand your concerns, dietary intake, mental health, and lifestyle habits. They may also order lab tests to investigate any underlying issues. Based on this information, your doctor will provide you with a personalized health plan that includes specific dietary and supplement recommendations, stress-management tips, infusion therapy, and lifestyle adjustments. Along with naturopathic treatments, your plan may include traditional healing methods, such as herbal medicine, homeopathy, acupuncture, massage therapy, physical therapy, and counselling. Ultimately, the goal of naturopathic medicine is to work alongside conventional medicine to help you achieve optimal health.
Who are naturopathic doctors (ND)?
In Ontario, naturopathic doctors (ND), also referred to as naturopaths, have undergone a minimum of three years of university-level education, followed by a four-year naturopathic medicine program accredited by the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education (CNME). NDs are highly trained experts who have met rigorous standards and are held accountable by the College of Naturopaths of Ontario for their conduct and practice.
What treatments are available in naturopathic medicine?
- Lifestyle counselling
- Naturopathic medicine places great emphasis on lifestyle counselling, which considers your physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. In this process, your naturopath will provide individualized strategies, including dietary and supplement recommendations, stress-management techniques, and lifestyle suggestions, to help you prevent future illnesses and attain optimal health. To ensure that your needs are met, your naturopath will hold periodic sessions to offer further guidance and adjust your wellness strategies as needed.
- Intravenous Vitamin and Mineral therapy (IV)
- IV therapy is an efficient method of delivering vitamins and minerals directly into the bloodstream to replenish deficient nutrients. There are a variety of IV therapies naturopaths use to help you manage health conditions. A combination of vitamin C, vitamin B complex, vitamin B-12, glutathione, and zinc can rapidly alleviate cold and flu symptoms. Meanwhile, NAD and a blend of complementary vitamins can aid in anti-aging, addiction recovery and metabolism improvement.
- Injection therapy
- If you are looking to quickly supplement deficient nutrients in your body, injection therapy might be a good option for you. Naturopaths commonly inject vitamin D and B12 to support your immune system, bone health, and metabolism.
- Nebulizer treatment
- A nebulizer converts liquid medicine into a mist, which is then inhaled through a mouthpiece or mask. This moist treatment helps to relax the lung muscles and loosen mucus, allowing for increased airflow. These benefits are highly effective in managing breathing problems such as wheezing, coughing, shortness of breath, and tightness in the chest. If you have any questions and wish to explore naturopathic care including IV therapy and injection therapy in Markham or GTA area, you can book a discovery call with Dr. Wendy Zhou, ND to start your healing journey.
If you have any questions and wish to explore naturopathic care including IV therapy and injection therapy in Markham or GTA area, you can book a discovery call with Dr. Wendy Zhou, ND to start your healing journey.